- What is an interlibrary loan?
- Through our membership in the Texas State Library System, Ector County library patrons may request books that are not in our collection from other cooperating lending libraries worldwide.
- What is available through interlibrary loan?
- Most books or magazine articles, including research material, pleasure reading, children’s books, audio/visual materials including books on tape, video tapes and DVDs, older than 6 months, may be requested.
- What is not available through interlibrary loan?
- Items less than 6 months from their publication or release date may not be requested.
- Do I need an Ector County library card to use this service?
- Yes, you must have a library card and be in “good standing” with the library; i.e., no late fees etc.
- How do I request an interlibrary loan?
- To request an interlibrary loan, either complete a form located at the ILL desk in the reference department on the first floor or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Information to include for a book request is title and author of book. Information to include for a magazine or newspaper article is name and date of publication, volume number, article name, author, and page numbers. Also include your name, library card number, address and phone number or e-mail address.
- How long does it take to receive my request?
- Times vary greatly due to factors such as the location of the lending library and availability of the requested item. Times may be as little as one week or as much as four to six weeks.
- How long may I keep an interlibrary loan?
- The usual time is about three weeks for books; however, some libraries request their materials back before that time period. The usual time for videos and DVDs is one week. It is imperative that all interlibrary loans be returned on time!
- How many interlibrary loans my I have?
- Patrons may have up to 5 items on request. No reading lists or personal bibliographies will be maintained by the ILL clerk.
- Where do I return the interlibrary loan?
- Interlibrary loan materials must be returned inside to the Ector County Library – Reference Department.